Juvenile Criminal Lawyer in Oakville
Children are subject to punishment by law when they commit crimes such as:
- Break and enter
But those transgressions should not follow young offenders or a child into adulthood and prevent them from building a life and earning a living.
Youth criminal lawyer, Geoffrey Carpenter and his juvenile criminal team at Carpenter Law take special interest in children’s criminal cases and dedicate themselves to helping children turn around their lives while avoiding unjust sentencing or punishment.
A juvenile justice lawyer for kids who understand the Youth Criminal Justice Act
The Youth Criminal Justice Act replaced the Young Offenders Act in 2003 and has established the following guidelines regarding juvenile justice:
- The act applies to children between 12 and 18 years of age
- Youth aged 14 to 17 may be sentenced as adults
- Identity of youth offenders cannot be printed or published
All young offenders have the right to counsel from an experienced youth criminal lawyer for kids upon arrest or detention.
Should you find yourself as a parent of a youth criminal without representation, contact us immediately.
Helping young offenders be accountable
The Youth Criminal Justice Act incorporates a recognition that young people are:
- Accountable for their crimes
- Rehabilitated within the limit of a proportionate response to the child crime they’ve committed
- Reintegrated back into their community
By following these guidelines – and with compassionate support from a youth criminal lawyer experienced in children’s criminal cases – many young offenders can avoid jail time and move forward with their lives.